Gay, Geoffrey M.
Geoffrey represents cities and coalitions of local governments on utility, energy and franchise matters. He serves as General Counsel to Texas Coalition For Affordable Power (TCAP) which secures electric energy in the retail market for over 165 political subdivisions. He also serves as General Counsel to coalitions of cities that negotiate with, and litigate against, gas and electric utilities.
He is a former Director of the Texas Office of Public Utility Counsel, a state agency charged with representing residential utility consumers. He was a consumer advocate for residential ratepayers in West Virginia before returning to Texas as an Assistant Attorney General.
- Admitted to State Bar of Texas (1977)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Houston (1977)
- M.A. in Legal and Constitutional History, Rice University (1977)
- B.A. with Honors, Emory University (1974)
- Litigated cases involving efforts by various energy companies to acquire Oncor
- Client base includes energy and utility representation for more than 300 Texas cities
- Litigated the last rate cases for AT&T and Southwestern Bell prior to telephone deregulation
- Franchise negotiations
- Litigated construction and decisional prudence cases including three different nuclear plants
- Involved in most of the significant gas and electric ratemaking proceedings over the last three decades
- Presentation on Oncor Acquisition Efforts at TCCFUI Fall Seminar, October 2016
- Presentation TCAA Fall Seminar, October13, 2011
- Editor and Supervisor of “The Story of ERCOT — The Grid Operator, Power Market’s Prices Under Texas Electric Deregulation,” February 2011, a 108 page special research project by clients, Texas Coalition for Affordable Power and Steering Committee of Cities Served by Oncor.
- Editor and Supervisor of “Natural Gas Consumers & the Texas Railroad Commission — Pocketbook & Policy Issues,” December 2010, a 44 page special research project by client, Atmos Cities Steering Committee
- “Retail Competition and Prices,” Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Electricity Summit, December 2010
- “Energy Issue Update,” City Manager’s Study Group, November 2010
- “Electric Shocked?! Does Tarrant County Need Recharging?” Tarrant County League of Women Voters, November 2010
- “Panel participant in the Dallas Morning News gathering of experts on Electric Deregulation,” see DMN, February 28, 2010 Business Section
- ”Managing Power Needs and Risks of Local Governments in the Deregulated Electric Market,” Public Utility Law Section Annual Meeting and Seminar, August 2009
- Editor and Supervisor of “The History of Electric Deregulation in Texas — The Unfulfilled Promise of Utility Restructuring,” January 2009, an 82 page special research project by client, Cities Aggregation Power Project, Inc.
- “Deregulation and Its Impact on Procurement of Energy,” Government Finance Officers Association of Texas (GFOAT) Spring Institute, April 2007
- “Electric Market Design: End User Perspective,” Public Utility Law Seminar, August 2005
- “Ethical Responsibilities Regarding Selection, Use and Cross-Examination of Expert Witnesses,” Texas Bar’s 16th Annual Advanced Administrative Law Course, September 2004
- “Considerations in Selecting a Retail Electric Provider Electric Deregulation Issues in Texas,” GFOAT Presentation, 2004
- “GRIP, Gripes, Nodes and Toads: Update on Public Utility Issues,” Texas City Attorneys’ Association, 2004
- “Dealing with Expert Witnesses,” Texas Bar’s 14th Annual Advanced Administrative Law Course, 2002
- “Electric Deregulation Issues in Texas,” Texas City Managers Association Annual Convention, June 2002
- “Municipal Regulation of Utilities In A Competitive Electric Market,” Texas Coalition of Cities For Utility Issues (TCCFUI) Seminar, October 2001
- State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Counsel of America
- The Best Lawyers in America©: continuously listed since 1993
- Selected Texas Super Lawyers List, Thomson Reuters: 2003-2005, 2007, 2016-2019
- Marvin J. Glink Private Practice Local Government Attorney Award by International Municipal Lawyers Association, 2011
- Listing as "Senior Statespeople" by Chambers and Partners USA for Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (Electricity) - Texas 2020
- Listing as “Leading Individual” by Chambers and Partners for both Oil & Gas and Electricity (only Texas Lawyer listed for both) under Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation, 2011, 2012, and 2013
- Fellow with Litigation Counsel of America