Huerta, Madison L.
Madison’s practice focuses on governmental and water-related legal and policy issues, including statutory and regulatory compliance, permitting, water rights, water resource management and development, and certificates of convenience and necessity. She represents clients before various state agencies and at the Texas Legislature and assists in the governance and operation of local government entities.
Prior to law school, Madison served as legislative staff for two senior Members of the Texas House of Representatives. In her role she worked with members of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches on a variety of policy issues effecting Texans. During law school, Madison served as an intern for both U.S. Magistrate Judge Irma Ramirez of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Texas.
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas (2022)
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (2022)
- B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business (2018)
- Provides counsel, regulatory compliance, and additional legal services for numerous entities, including groundwater conservation districts, water supply corporations, and investor-owned utilities
- Works with trade associations and municipalities to represent their interests before the Texas Legislature and state agencies, such as the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and Railroad Commission of Texas.
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association
- Texas Water Conservation Association
- Texas Alliance of Groundwater Districts
- Water Environment Association of Texas
- SMU John E. Kennedy Memorial Graduation Award and Scholarship
- Judge Elmo B. Hunter Legal Center for Victims of Crimes Against Women Scholarship
- Altrusa International Women’s Leadership Scholarship
- SMU Dedman School of Law Dean’s Scholarship
- Clinic Legal Education Association’s (CLEA) Outstanding Clinic Associate Award
- Best Advocate, Intra-SMU Showdown, 2021