Chambers, Maris M.
Maris' practice focuses on water and wastewater utility service interests – including certificates of convenience and necessity, water rights, water supply and water quality. She assists municipalities, utilities, landowners, and water districts with permitting, compliance, and enforcement before state agencies including the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the Public Utility Commission, and the State Office of Administrative Hearings. She also provides general counsel services to water districts, water and wastewater utilities, and other political subdivisions.
- Admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2020).
- Admitted to U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas (2019).
- Admitted to State Bar of Texas (2016).
- J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law, with distinction (2016).
- B.A., Environmental Studies, Southern Methodist University (2012).
- Serving as general counsel for water districts and water supply corporations (as well as attending meetings).
- Drafting water supply contracts, CCN service area agreements, non-standard water service agreements, and construction contracts for capital improvement projects.
- Representing municipalities, districts, investor owned utilities, and developers in preparing applications to obtain, amend, transfer, and decertify water and sewer CCNs at the PUC.
- Advising clients regarding the Texas Open Meetings Act, Public Information Act, water supply corporation and district elections, Attorney General Opinions, impact fees, and other Board governance matters.
- Preparing and prosecuting applications at the TCEQ for water rights, public drinking water system-related authorizations, water quality permits (TPDES, TLAP), and water district matters.
- Negotiating and drafting land purchase agreements, easements, and other related transactions.
- Assisting clients with litigation, administrative proceedings, and contested case hearings before the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Representing clients with enforcement matters at the PUC and TCEQ.
- See “City of Cleburne Reaches Settlement to Abate Violations of TCEQ Registration” (September 2019).
- Co-Author, "New 'Physical Capabilities' Test for 7 U.S.C. § 1926(b) Debtors Applied to Dismiss CCN Decertification Complaint," The Lone Star Current, Volume 26, No. 1 (January 2021).
- Co-Author, “A New Wrinkle in Processing Landowner CCN Decertification Petitions?,” The Lone Star Current, Volume 25, No. 3 (July 2020).
- Speaker, “Texas Legislative Update,” 19th Annual Robert F. Pence Drinking Water Seminar, North Central Texas Chapter, Texas American Water Works Association, October 2020.
- Speaker, "Legislative/Regulatory Annual Update," Industry Council on the Environment, Austin, Texas, November 2019.
- Speaker, “It’s Over, Now What? Water-Related Outcomes and Impacts of the 86th Texas Legislature,” 18th Annual Robert F. Pence Drinking Water Seminar, North Central Texas Chapter, Texas American Water Works Association, October 2019.
- Co-Author, “Action to Protect Environmental Resources: Lessons from the City of Cleburne and Johnson’s County’s Fight to Protect its Drinking Water,” The Lone Star Current, Volume 24, No. 2 (April 2019).
- Speaker, “Legislative/Regulatory Annual Update,” Industry Council on the Environment, Austin, Texas, November 2018.
- Speaker, “Texas Legislative Update,” 17th Annual Robert F. Pence Drinking Water Seminar, North Central Texas Chapter, Texas American Water Works Association, Fort Worth, Texas, October 2018.
- Speaker, "Videoconferencing Board Meetings Under the Texas Open Meetings Act – Benefit or Burden?” Capital Area Suburban Exchange (“CASE”) Annual Conference, South Padre Island, Texas, June 2018.
- Co-Author, “Videoconferencing at Open Meetings – Is It As Easy As It Sounds?” The Lone Star Current, Volume 23, No.1 (January 2018).
- Secretary, Austin Bar Association Administrative Law Section.
- Member, Austin Bar Association Environmental Law Section.
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Environmental and Natural Resources Section, Administrative Law Section, and Public Utility Law Section.
- Member, Water Environment Association of Texas Biosolids Management Committee.