Ballard, Samuel L.
Sam is a member of the Air and Waste Practice Group and assists clients with matters involving air permitting and enforcement; solid waste management permitting and enforcement; environmental due diligence in real estate transactions; and Innovative Technology Evaluation Applications concerning Best Management Practices.
Prior to joining the Firm, Sam worked at a civil litigation defense firm in Houston, Texas. While in law school, Sam clerked for the Environmental Protection Agency Office of Regional Counsel and also interned with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in college. Sam now relies on his past experiences in defending clients in compliance and enforcement actions against these same agencies.
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas (2017)
- J.D., magna cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law (2017)
- B.A., in Environmental Studies, Baylor University (2014)
- Represents clients before the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the State Office of Administrative Hearings, and the Environmental Protection Agency in enforcement actions
- Represents clients before the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the State Office of Administrative Hearings, and the Environmental Protection Agency in obtaining permits, permit amendments, and permit modifications
- Counsels clients on waste management matters
- Advises clients on air emission reporting requirements
- Advises clients on reporting requirements under the Texas Risk Reduction Program
- Assists clients in obtaining agency approval for use of innovative technologies as Best Management Practices for pollution control
- Author, “Perfluorinated Chemicals in the Environment: How the EPA’s PFAS Action Plan Expands Liability for Potentially Responsible Parties,” The Lone Star Current, April 2019
- State Bar of Texas
- Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section
- Austin Bar Association
- Environmental Law Section
- Administrative Law Section
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Lone Star Chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America
- Texas Land & Mineral Owners Association